Monday, August 22, 2016

A Hard Lesson Learned (Part 3): MCALESTER

So his son was in the hospital and had already had two surgeries to remove the extra bones that were growing on his ribs. There was little communication between me and him. And my life kept going,  I was finally moving on. But I had to keep communicating with him because he had my dad’s truck.

At some point during the summer he told me he had bought the new engine for his car and was going to bring it to New Mexico, but that never happened. And at another point in the summer he called and asked me if I would be willing to move to Oklahoma with him, he got offered a job there, and that was completely out of the question. So with knowing he was considering not coming back to Lubbock I knew I needed to start pushing him out of my life. But I also knew that I needed to get that truck back.

About a week and a half ago, I text him and asked about his son and he told me that the little boy was going into another surgery. I thought it was strange and asked him if it was the same procedure the doctors had already done and he said yes. I told him that at that point they really needed to figure out what was wrong with his kid, because a little child’s body can’t handle so many surgeries. 

So since July 28 up until Aug. 11 his son had three surgeries ... A little much, right?

Well, on Monday, Aug. 15 we had enough. My mom called me while I was at work and asked if I knew the hospital where his son was at in Austin. I gave her the name, St. David’s, and she said she was going to call him at the hospital to talk about getting the truck back.

She said, “Denise. It’s been way too long and we need to get that truck back, even if it means us going and picking it up.” 

I completely agreed. He wasn’t listening to me anymore and it seemed like he had no intentions of coming back our way anytime soon. Later on that day, my mom called me and told me that the St. David’s hospital did not and had never had a patient under his son's name. My heart sank and I got that gross nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach. So I really didn’t know what to tell her. I just started calling his phone and texting him asking him to give me a call.

Later on that afternoon, my mom called again and told me that she spoke with his employers in Texas and they told her that he hadn’t worked for them since February! 

That means that for the past six months he told me he was working, but evidently was not. And then I thought to myself, 'Well then where the hell is he because he is not doing a training for them then.' Then we found out from the dealership that sold him his car in Lubbock that he hadn’t made a single payment since he bought the car in April.

My world was completely falling apart and my mind could not make sense of any of this information we were learning about this person. A person that I fell in love with. A person I spent almost an entire year with. A person my family accepted and opened their home to. 

My mom and I talked and we came to the conclusion that something was terribly wrong. We knew he was not in Austin and that he had been lying to us. But we had to figure out where he was without him finding out, because if he did he’d come up with some greater lie. I told her that I would keep blowing up his phone until he answered, which I knew wouldn’t be until after 6 p.m. because that’s when he’d usually text me. But we agreed we would not let him know about anything that we found out. I told her I would ask again about his son and what hospital he was in, but keep it casual, normal.

He finally called me back at around 6 p.m. and he told me that he was at St. David’s in Austin and gave me an address, which was an address for Texas State University in San Marcos. I told him I was confused because I thought the hospital was in Austin and he said, “Sorry, I’m tired. That’s where I was staying at.” Then he gave me the address to St. David's. 

I told him that we needed the truck back, and that I was sorry to put him in a situation where he’d have to get a rental (which I truly wasn’t sorry, because I knew he was lying) and that my mom and I were planning on traveling to Austin to pick it up the next day. He said “Okay.”

So I got off the phone with him, called my mom and told her what he said. He ended up giving her a call because she called his cell phone. She told him that she had called the hospital, but that they didn’t have his son listed as a patient. He told her that his son went by his ex-wife’s last name. So after my mom got off the phone with him she called the hospitals again and nothing. No one knew of his son at all, even with the other last name.

We knew he was lying and we knew he wasn’t in Austin so we were not about to drive all the way there for nothing. 

But where was he? And why the hell was he lying to us?

The next day, which was Tuesday, Aug. 16 I was pissed. So I started going into investigative-reporter mode trying to figure out where he was. I went on his Facebook page and noticed that all his new friends were from the same place — McAlester, Okla. That was suspicious. And then I noticed he liked a page called, “Jobs in McAlester.” So I knew that this idiot was in Oklahoma, but how could I prove it?

Well, I remembered that he had given me his Facebook password at one point in a text. I figured I could hack into his Facebook page and see his location history, because he was smart and never checked into any places. While I was going through my texts I stumbled upon an old selfie he sent me back in July. He was wearing his work uniform. He’s a correctional officer. I noticed that the badge on his shirt was not a Texas Department of Corrections badge. So I googled Oklahoma’s Department of Corrections badge and it was a match.

I was fuming! So I decided to call the hospital in McAlester and ask for his son. They didn’t have him listed. After that I looked up the number to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections and gave them a ring. I asked if they could verify an employment for one of their officers for me and the lady that answered said yes. I gave her his name and she said he was an employee. I asked how long, she said since May 2015. I asked in McAlester and she said yes. 

The jackass was caught.

I called my mom and told her, and we decided that her, my brother and myself would take off to McAlester on Wednesday, Aug. 17 and give the SOB the surprise of his life. 

He text me all Tuesday night and I kept the conversation as normal as possible. We got up early Wednesday morning and made the seven hour drive to Oklahoma. The whole way we were pissed. We got to McAlester around 4 p.m. and drove straight to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary, hoping that we would catch him when he’d get off work. 

We drove around and didn’t see our truck, but I told my mom and brother that he may car pool so he might be there, but not the truck. After a while we decided to call the penitentiary and ask if he was working. The lady that answered told us everything we needed to know. She said he is in the correctional officer's academy, it was his day off and that he’d be in the next day (Thursday, Aug. 18) at 8 a.m. and usually went home around 3 or 4 p.m.

Once we found that out, my head felt like it was about to explode. It became a fact at that moment to me that he had been lying for months about being in San Marcos. That he was okay with all the crying phone calls from me. That he was probably lying about his son, his own flesh and blood, being sick in a hospital. I just couldn’t take all the anger I was feeling.

We ended up stopping by the Sheriff’s Department and asked if they could possibly help us — maybe get an address from his work so we could find him that night. The deputy said there wasn’t much they could do and that we’d have to go talk to a judge to see if he’d write us a warrant for the Sheriff's to get involved. We asked the deputy if we found our truck if we could take it. He said yes, since it was our property.

We went to grab some food. And I had a fury attack, and got into an argument with my mom and brother. We were talking about what our plan would be if we found him and they told me that I needed to stay in the truck while they dealt with him. My anger got the best of me at the moment, and I understand why they told me that because they weren’t sure how he'd react or if I’d end up causing a scene. But at that point I needed that douche to see me. To know that I had caught him in his lies. To know that I knew everything he had said was complete bullshit.

Once we left the restaurant we drove to as many apartment complexes we could find to see if we could spot our truck, but we had no luck. We checked into a hotel room and agreed that we’d drive out to the penitentiary at 7 a.m. and see if we saw the truck, or him.

That evening he texted me. I asked for his son and he told me he was doing better. I told him he must be so tired of being at a hospital, and so bored. And he said yes. Then I casually asked him about why all of his new friends on Facebook were from Oklahoma, in which he replied “just random, I guess.” I kept casually bringing up Oklahoma during that text and asked him if he was still considering taking that job he was offered and he said maybe. I asked him if he had ever been to Oklahoma and he said yes, when he was training for the army. 

We text for a while and he called me babe and asked me to continue to be patient — that he’d be back soon. He tried to make me feel bad for “giving up on us” for “not caring anymore.” Every text I got from him was a jab at my heart. It took every ounce of strength in me to keep my cool and not call him out. I knew he didn’t have a clue that I had caught him in all his lying. I knew he had no idea that we were in the same town. So I had to stay cool.

At one point during the night, I remembered that every time he would call me I could hear a train in the background. A super loud train. So I told my mom and we decided to check out apartments that were located near the train tracks to see if we could find the truck. I think at that point we were so restless that we just needed to do something. So we drove and drove, but found nothing.

When 6:30 a.m. came around we got up, got dressed and headed out to the penitentiary. We parked near the entrance and basically performed a stakeout. We looked out for our truck, but we also made sure we paid attention to every person in every car that was driving in. During this time, he was texting me. 

I text him “Mornin’ hope you have a wonderful day.” He text back “U too babe” I asked for his son and he told me he was asleep and I asked why he was up so early and he said he had just woke up.  I told him it was a miracle he was texting me ... then my brother and my mom yelled there he is!

He was in a car with a co-worker, I assume, and so we followed him. Pulled up right behind them. I stayed in the truck as my mom and brother got off. I rolled down the window and I heard my mom cuss him out asking for the truck. I wish I could of seen his face when he saw my mom and brother, but they said he looked like he was seeing someone that had come back from the dead. 

I ended up getting off the truck when I saw him get out of the car ... I needed him to see me, to know that I knew about all his lies. My mom yelled at him and asked where his son was at,  and the jackass still had the nerve to lie, even after his jig was up, and said the little boy was in Austin.

After that he handed my mom our truck keys and told her that it was at his apartment. She cussed him out some more, called him a F***** liar and told him that he needed to take us to get it. Luckily, his buddy told him he’d drive him back to their place, because if not the jerk was going to have to ride with us. In which my mom turned and told me “This Mother F is going to have to ride with us, Denise.”

At that point I went up to him and said, “Is there anything that you’d like to say to me, to my face?" 

The coward just shook his head.


We got back in our truck and followed them, right on their ass, back to their place. We saw our truck.

When we got out of our truck I guess he told his buddy let’s get out of here, because they started backing up in the car. But I wasn’t about to let him leave, scot-free. I went to the passenger side window and he rolled it down. 

I told him, as calmly as I could, “Don’t you ever talk to me again. Don’t you ever look at me again. I don’t exist to you. And you don’t exist to me. If you have anything to say to me, this is your last chance.” 

He said, “I’ll call you.”

I yelled at him, “No, you will not!” And I asked him if he even wanted to at least apologize.

The last thing he said to me was, “I have nothing to say.”

I walked away.

My mother had a few choice words to say to him, in which we told her, after-the-matter, that she became Madea!

The one thing I will never forget though, is my little brother, my knight in shinning armor, step up to that passenger side window and say, “If you ever go back to Lubbock, Texas I will kill you. I want to kill you now, but if you ever go looking for my sister I will kill you.”

If I were that idiotic boy I would be pissing my pants, because my brother’s look could kill, and the way he said those words was very ‘Liam Neeson,’ you know the serious, “I will find you and kill you” tone.

After that he drove away. And I was left in disbelief that this had all happened. That we were in effin’ Oklahoma because this psychopath lied to me, to us all, and we believed him. 

I broke down, I couldn’t help but cry because I just couldn’t understand how someone could do that. How someone could sit there and lie to me and still tell me they cared for me, love me. And have the audacity to make me feel bad for breaking his heart, because I broke up with him.

A hug from my brother and my mom rejuvenated my soul and I told them, “Please get me out of Oklahoma.”

We fueled up and took off. Within an hour and a half we crossed the state line.

I had never been happier to be back in Texas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.